Monday, March 3, 2014

About Me

This is a practice post in preparation for the Summary snippet on LinkedIn.





I'm interested in mastering functional programming techniques, becoming more efficient in web development, and visualizing data.

I worked with basic NodeJS in my Spring 2013 coursework, and picked up JQuery two weeks before the summer started. At my first internship during the past year, I've built an internal web app that essentially acts as a Google Docs & Google Forms replacement with pagination using Scala Play, PostgreSQL, and ExtJS.

In addition to learning new frameworks and Scala, I've learned a lot on how to code and about myself.
  • Automated testing can literally save months by shortening how long it takes to get feedback on code and preventing regressions.
  • Git is essential for being the time machine for code that it is.
  • Always understand "best practices" before writing any code.
  • To deal with the current reality, no matter what my previous time expectations were.
  • The more I don't know, the simpler problems seem, and the more likely optimistic underestimates will happen.
  • Rest is necessary for productivity. "Enjoyment predicts efficiency." - Eric S. Raymond.
I am currently dabbling in Javascript visualization library D3js and the Neo4j graph database in my spare time, along with Java Play and Haskell for some school projects. Any opportunities involving contact with experienced developers in Haskell, Java, Scala, Play Framework, Neo4j, or D3js are especially welcome.



On Management and the Maginot Line. (n.d.). On Management and the Maginot Line. Retrieved March 16, 2014, from http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/homesteading/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s12.html

1 comment:

  1. Hi Meredith. As a practice post for your summary snippet on LinkedIn, I think this is a great step in the right direction. You have managed to keep the summary short and sweet while mentioning a wealth of information about yourself, such as what yo have done and what you have experience. A couple suggestions I have for the final version are a stronger call to action at the end, and a sentence or two describing what kind of areas in the field you are interested in. It will show focus and vision.

    ReplyDelete